The Will left me nothing, what can I do? - Making an Inheritance Act Claim

When someone makes a will, he/she is deciding how they wish their assets to be distributed following their death. As long as that will is valid and has not been made under duress and the person making the will has capacity, the law is reluctant to interfere with those wishes.

However, certain people can make a claim where the will fails to make reasonable financial provision. If you fall into the descriptions below and feel reasonable financial provision has not been made, we can help you.

  •  The deceased’s wife or husband
  •  A former wife or former husband of the deceased who has not re-married
  •  Where the deceased has died after 1996, any person who during the whole of
     the period of the two years ending immediately before the deceased died was
     living in the same household as the deceased and as the husband or wife of
     the deceased.
  •  A child of the deceased Any person (who is not a child of the deceased) who
     in the case of any marriage to which the deceased was at any time a party
     was treated by the deceased as a child of the family
  •  Any other person who immediately before the deceased’s death was being
     maintained either wholly or partly by the deceased.

You can have the benefit of our experience in successfully bringing Inheritance Act claims for our clients to remedy any unfairness that the will created.

Contact Katie Kearns or Gerard Davis on 024 7655 3181, for a free, no obligation discussion regarding your possible claim.